Steve McClaren’s future at Derby County has become the subject of intense speculation amid reports he is set for crunch talks with the club’s chief executive Sam Rush tomorrow.
After failing to meet the board’s expectations, it is understood his position at the club will be discussed tomorrow and McClaren could even depart the iPro Stadium within the next 48 hours.
Real Madrid coach Paul Clement – who previously expressed his desire to return to management in England – has already been lined up as a potential successor should the former-England boss depart the Rams.
In recent weeks, McClaren has been linked with the managerial vacancies at Newcastle and West Ham but has persistently reiterated his commitment to the Rams.
Following Newcastle’s 3-0 thrashing at the King Power Stadium last month, an approach was made for the 54-year-old to take the reigns for the final three games of the season but he spurned their advances.
When questioned about whether the head coach vacancy at St James’ Park was something he would consider, he responded: “I reiterate what I said on Saturday straight after the game and what I’ve said to the board and the players yesterday – I’m 100% committed to finishing the job here.
“After the disappointment of the weekend, it’s a big job and something that over the next three or four days we’re planning to put right. I hear the speculation, I see it, but I’m 100% committed to Derby County at this moment. Do I want to stay? Absolutely. I wouldn’t be sat here otherwise.
“I would not be talking and planning. It has been a very difficult two days since losing on Saturday and getting over that disappointment. It has been very tough but after meeting with the players on Tuesday, the staff on Wednesday and the board today I am sure by the end of the week we will be looking ahead to the future.”
Having refused to answer the Magpies’ calls in their time of need, it is unlikely that Lee Charnley will make a fresh approach for McClaren.





