Journalist Dean Jones has said that Callum Wilson is on ‘the verge of coming back’ ahead of Newcastle United’s return to Premier League action this weekend.
The £46k-p/w striker has been unavailable since the end of August, missing each of the club’s last four Premier League matches. The 30-year-old admitted (BBC Radio 5 Live, via Daily Mail) that his injury setback was ‘disappointing’, having scored in each of the first two home league games.
With Allan Saint-Maximin also recovering from a hamstring problem, Eddie Howe has been depleted in terms of his attacking options. Those headaches intensified over the international break, meaning that Wilson could be thrust straight back into the starting line-up on Saturday.
According to The Telegraph, Newcastle’s £63m club-record signing Alexander Isak is set for ‘several weeks’ on the sidelines after returning from international duty with Sweden. The source suggests that, although the lower leg injury isn’t serious, it will take a number of weeks to heal.
Elsewhere, Bruno Guimaraes injured his thigh while third-choice striker Chris Wood was forced off during New Zealand’s defeat to Australia with an apparent rib injury.
Wilson close to comeback
However, Jones’ claims about Wilson potentially returning when needed the most will offer a crumb of comfort to the Toon Army.
He told GIVEMESPORT: “I think there’s some optimism that Bruno will be okay. Isak, perhaps less so. Then there is Callum Wilson, I think, on the verge of coming back, I know that he’s been touted as potentially being available for this one. So it might be the perfect timing, if Isak isn’t around, that they’ve got Wilson to step back in.”
Could be huge for Newcastle
Newcastle have drawn five of their seven league games so far and are coming up against a Fulham side flying in sixth place.
The west London club have scored 12 goals so far this term, meaning that the Magpies may need to score multiple times to take all three points from Craven Cottage. It is something they have only managed to do twice so far but luckily Wilson was playing in both games.
As the club’s top scorer last term, his potential availability this weekend will be huge as Newcastle look to clinch their first league victory since the opening weekend of the season.





